This often becomes one of our biggest problems. Students go to google and search, but often come back empty handed. Here are my suggestions for better picture searching:
- Use a better google search. Narrow the photo sizes, use better keywords (like a normal google search), and even an advanced search to narrow your results.
- Go back to your sources! The places you originally found info and learned about your topic likely have some of the best photos. Use ’em!!
- Harper’s Weekly has a great collection of old photographs to use. Many are from the 19th Century, so this is especially advantageous to those studying a topic from then.
- Try Pic Search, another image searching site.
- The Newberry Library also has a great collection of online photos to search, too!
- Try out the Chicago History Museum’s collection… you’ll have to sort the results, but there are some good photos there!
- Visit this old Chicago Daily News collection.